Sunday, May 16, 2010

Memories

The other day while at the grocery store I noticed the doughnut display in the bakery. Though not as colorful as these, the display brought back wonderful memories. When I was a little girl it was a special treat to go to the grocery store with Dad because he would let any of the kids who were with him pick out a doughnut. In my early years I always chose the chocolate frosted doughnuts. As I got older my taste shifted, first to apple filled with powdered sugar, then to cream filled with chocolate frosting. Dad always got maple bars.

This experience at the grocery store made me think. It's amazing to me that something as simple as a doughnut display can bring back vivid images, tastes, and feelings. I realized that what makes life sweet are the little traditions and everyday things that we do with people we love. It made me resolve to do my best when I'm a mother to remember that, and to create opportunities for sweet memories with my children. Not necessarily grand and marvelous events, but little things each day that they can look back on and that will make them smile.

"Parents must bring light and truth into their homes by one family prayer, one scripture study session, one family home evening, one book read aloud, one song, and one family meal at a time."
-"Mothers Teaching Their Children"
Ensign, May 2010
Elder L. Tom Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment